Shopping local offers a range of benefits over box stores and direct-to-consumer websites (including brand websites and third party sites).
- Support the local economy: Small businesses are a major source of job creation. By supporting local businesses, you are helping to create and sustain jobs in your community. This not only benefits the individuals who are employed, but also the economy as a whole. Local businesses pay taxes that help to support local infrastructure, schools, and public services. Small businesses are often drivers of economic growth in local communities. When they are successful, they can reinvest in their businesses, hire more employees, and expand their operations. This leads to increased economic activity and prosperity in the community as a whole.
- Personalized service: Local businesses pride themselves on providing personalized service, and are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase. This is especially important when buying specialty items or products that require expert knowledge or advice like running shoes or athletic apparel.
- Better quality control: When you buy gear locally, you can try it on before making a purchase. This is especially important for items like shoes and apparel where sizing and quality can vary widely from brand-to-brand.
- Building relationships: When you shop at local businesses, you have the opportunity to build relationships with the owners and employees. This can lead to a more enjoyable shopping experience and can help to build a sense of community.
- Environmental benefits: Buying from a local shop has unseen environmental benefits, as it reduces the carbon footprint associated with shipping and transportation. In contrast, box stores often rely on additional long-distance shipping to stock their shelves.